The DELTA (Dynamics and Energetics of the Lower Thermosphere in Aurora) campaign was carried out to investigate the upper atmospheric dynamics and energetics in the lower thermosphere accompanied with the auroral activity by simultaneous sounding rocket / EISCAT radar / Fabry-Perot Interferometer observations.
[Oct/06] EPS special issue was published.
A special issue on the DELTA campaign has been published in "Earth, Planets and Space (EPS)". Papers in the special issue are as follows:
[Earth, Planets and Space]
- Iwagami, N., S. Komada, and T. Takahashi, Preliminary results of rocket attitude and auroral green line emission rate in the DELTA campaign, Earth Planets Space, 58, 1107-1111, 2006.
- Griffin, E., M. Kosch, A. Aruliah, A. Kavanagh, I. McWhirter, A. Senior, E. Ford, C. Davis, T. Abe, J. Kurihara, K. Kauristie, and Y. Ogawa, Combined ground-based optical support for the aurora (DELTA) sounding rocket campaign, Earth Planets Space, 58, 1113-1121, 2006.
- Kurihara, J., T. Abe, K.-I. Oyama, E. Griffin, M. Kosch, A. Aruliah, K. Kauristie, Y. Ogawa, S. Komada, and N. Iwagami, Observations of the lower thermospheric neutral temperature and density in the DELTA campaign, Earth Planets Space, 58, 1123-1130, 2006.
- Williams, B. P., D. C. Fritts, J. D. Vance, C.-Y. She, T. Abe, and E. Thrane, Sodium lidar measurements of waves and instabilities near the mesopause during the DELTA rocket campaign, Earth Planets Space, 58, 1131-1137, 2006.
- Abe, T., K.-I. Oyama, and A. Kadohata, Electron temperature variation associated with the auroral energy input during the DELTA campaign, Earth Planets Space, 58, 1139-1146, 2006.
- Wakabayashi, M., and T. Ono, Electron density measurement under the influence of auroral precipitation and electron beam injection during the DELTA campaign, Earth Planets Space, 58, 1147-1154, 2006.
- Ogasawara, K., K. Asamura, T. Takashima, Y. Saito, and T. Mukai, Rocket observation of energetic electrons in the low-altitude auroral ionosphere during the DELTA campaign, Earth Planets Space, 58, 1155-1164, 2006.
- Abe, T., J. Kurihara, N. Iwagami, S. Nozawa, Y. Ogawa, R. Fujii, H. Hayakawa, and K.-I. Oyama, Dynamics and Energetics of the Lower Thermosphere in Aurora (DELTA) -Japanese sounding rocket campaign-, Earth Planets Space, 58, 1165-1171, 2006.
- Shinagawa, H., and S. Oyama, A two-dimensional simulation of thermospheric vertical winds in the vicinity of an auroral arc, Earth Planets Space, 58, 1173-1181, 2006.
- Nozawa, S., Y. Ogawa, A. Brekke, T. Tsuda, C. M. Hall, H. Miyaoka, J. Kurihara, T. Abe, and R. Fujii, EISCAT observational results during the DELTA campaign, Earth Planets Space, 58, 1183-1191, 2006.
[May/05] DELTA campaign workshop was held in Japan.
In response to the successful launch of the rocket, we held an international workshop on "Dynamics and energetics in the low-altitude polar thermosphere: DELTA campaign". The one-day workshop is held as one of the international sessions in the 2005 Joint Meeting for Earth and Planetary Science in Japan on May 22-26, 2005. [See detail]
[Dec/04] The rocket was successfully launched!
S-310-35 sounding rocket was launched at 00:33:00 UT on 13 December 2004 from Andøya Rocket Range in Norway. Observations by the science instruments onboard were successfully conducted as planned, and thereby parameters inherent for the lower thermospheric study were obtained along the rocket trajectory. [ISAS Press Release]